Dec 8, 2014

How To Make A Burlap Christmas Tree

I recently made this burlap Christmas Tree and thought I would share how I made it.  I ended up with a tree completely different than what I started with. HA! How many times has this happened?! More than I can count. My projects rarely turn out like I originally intended. Sometimes they are better and sometimes they are no so great. 
I do wish my tree stood out more against the color of my brick.  This may be something to keep in mind when purchasing your burlap.  There are a lot of colors in burlap to choose from now.

You will need a styrofoam cone and some burlap material or ribbon and some straight pins. I used the ribbon on my tree shown above.  I used material in the other versions listed.  
My Cone has moss on it but you don't need it.  I just couldn't find the styrofoam cone in the size I wanted without the moss. 

Hang with me- This post is a bit lengthy, but I wanted to you share my experience because I had some issues and hopefully my post will help you avoid them, should you decide to make one of these for yourself.  First I tried the fringe tree to the right.  Honestly, I wish I would have kept this one because it was by far the easiest.  And I like the clean simple look as well.


You will want to cut your burlap in strips but there are a couple of steps that you need to do BEFORE cutting. THIS IS IMPORTANT.  If you cut the burlap wrong, you are going to have a mess on your hands. The burlap is messy as it is but what I mean is, your burlap will fringe out of control.  

You will need to begin by pulling a few strings out of the bottom of your material  This will create the fringe.  Once you have it fringed to your liking, you may have to trim the very first piece to even it up.  The lady at Walmart didn't cut mine very even so this was necessary, for me anyway.

Ok now this is the important part... you need to make sure you create a path to cut your fabric.  You don't want to cut the vertical strands in the weave. By only cutting through the horizontal lines, you'll find that there will be far less fraying. Find a place in your fabric a few inches from the bottom of your fringe and then pull out a couple of the strings. Basically the same thing you did to create the fringe, only this time you are pulling strings out of the middle area.  I did this before I cut the fringe so you can actually see the path in the above picture as well.
Now once you have cut your strip you will need to repeat the process in order to get enough strips to cover your tree.  Begin covering your tree by pinning the first piece near the bottom and then just simply wrap the tree and pin at the top.


Ok now for the next version- I used strips of fabric but didn't fringe them.  I just pulled the strings to create a cutting path and then cut my strips. Then I pulled strings horizontally so I could cut them into shorter pieces.  This is a messy messy process so consider yourself warned.
 once you have your smaller stips you just need to create a loop and then pin it to the tree.  I started with the pins that have a larger pin head but I eventually switched to a basic pin because with my tree being on my mantel, when you looked up to see it, you could see the pins peeking out of the burlap.
After I had pinned several loops onto the tree, I didn't really love the fringed look.  So I ended up using some burlap Ribbon that had a finished edge.  I cut it into strips and used the same loop process shown above. It gave me a cleaner look.  I think it's all in what look you are going for.


I sprayed mine with gold glitter spray, which you can't really see in the picture but it adds a nice touch.

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. If you have any questions please feel free to comment and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

Have a great day.





No comments:

Post a Comment

DIY Body Butter

So yesterday I had a little spare time and I needed to make a batch of my favorite body butter so I decided to put together a seri...