Jan 10, 2014

Yummy Chicken and Black Bean Soup

I found another great recipe this week.  I got this one from SkinnyTaste.com. So far this website is two for two! I made a few changes to the recipe for myself and I will list those below.  You can click on the link above if you would like to see the original recipe on the Skinny Taste website.
 I didn't really change much from the original recipe but thought I would share how I made mine.
The original called for Ancho Chili Powder, I used regular.  I would have added onion as well but forgot.  I made this on the stove top instead of the crock pot............ because I didn't get it done that morning :)  I already had leftover chicken from one that I had roasted the night before.  I followed the directions on how to make the soup otherwise.
When the soup was ready to serve I smashed my avocado with a little lime juice and put a dollop in my soup and served it with a few tortilla chips.  It was DELICIOUS and easy.  By the way... leftovers were even better.  The nutritional information can be found on the Skinnytaste website as well.   I hope you try this.  I know it's going to be a keeper at our house.

  • 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
  • 2 (10 oz) cans Rotel tomatoes with green chilies
  • 1 red bell pepper, minced
  • 4 oz can diced green chiles
  • 1 tbsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp oregano
  • 16 oz (2) skinless chicken breast (shredded)
  • 2 medium scallions, diced
  • cut limes, for serving 
  • 1 medium haas avocado, sliced
  • sour cream, for serving (optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment